The script we will be learning is Manuscript Kufic, the original Qur’anic script which developed under the Umeyyads and reached its apogee under the Abbasids, but fell into disuse nearly a millenium ago. In particular, we’ll be working with the variant illustrated by the page above, which I consider to be the most accomplished. The style and script grammar will based on this manuscript. The course allows each student their own pace, and covers the following:
- Learning and practicing isolated lettershapes;
- Learning how letters connect and practicing with words and short texts;
- Technical skills: Working with colour, constructing the traditionally proportioned text boxes, drafting a page;
- Putting it all together in one finished page, including diacritics and punctuation;
- Learning alternative letter forms to create a variant on this style, and if time allows, finishing one more page in this variant.