Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Word spacing collapses on google font

Ralf Herrmann

Hard to say just from the description. I downloaded the fonts and see the space character with a positive value in all the styles. And they also work on Google’s page. 

Can you maybe narrow down the problem further by doing some more trial and error? Does it happen with every style? Does it happen with every app? Does it happen on multiple devices? 

Ben03

Hi Ralf, Thanks for your help here. It seems to be how my mac is interpreting it. On tablet and phone it is fine, but both the ttf and webfont on my mac appear to have the word spacing collapsed. If I use inspect on the webpage, the source code has the word spacing correctly. See the paragraphs here: http://www.ben-wain.co.uk/test/southeastbike.html How do they appear to you?

What would be causing this to happen only on certain devices? 

Thanks

Riccardo Sartori

I looked on your test page on a Mac using Opera (same rendering engine as Chrome), Mozilla Firefox, and Safari. All three display the spaces correctly. Have you tried to contact the foundry to ask if someone already reported the issue?

Ben03

Hi Ricardo, thanks for your advice, I did contact them and they advised on using a different version of the font (hind) as Hind Guntur was for Telagu language! Thanks all