Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Geometric Display Type Design

d0nev

Hello everyone, 

I have been designing a custom typeface that I intend to use for a branding. The typeface would be used only internally and would not be sold or distributed in any way. The goal is to have letters (that are not too obvious) from solid filled basic geometric shapes like circles, triangles, rectangles etc. I only need capital letters but then I thought numbers might come handy. Overall I am happy with the look of the letters but the numbers can be improved as some look out of place. 

Some feedback would be really appreciated. I have attached Illustrator screen grab. I intend to import the letters in Glyphs and tweak them there.

This is my first attempt to create type in some form... In the past, I have created custom letters for branding but never full alphabet. 

P.S. I am not sure why I am not allowed to create posts in the type design forum even though I am a member. Therefore I will post here and the admins can move it in the right section. 

Type.png

Ralf Herrmann

And regarding the design: It’s fine for this type of font, but in my opinion there is room for improvement regarding the consistency of the pieces. It looks like it started with a regular font and then counters were filled – instead of designing it from simplified pieces outwards. You could take simple geometric shapes and start with that. Just one example: cutting a circle in half gives you two geometric shapes to create a better S design. And those pieces could then be reused in other glyphs such as the figure 3 …

d0nev
1 hour ago, Ralf Herrmann said:

And regarding the design: It’s fine for this type of font, but in my opinion there is room for improvement regarding the consistency of the pieces. It looks like it started with a regular font and then counters were filled – instead of designing it from simplified pieces outwards. You could take simple geometric shapes and start with that. Just one example: cutting a circle in half gives you two geometric shapes to create a better S design. And those pieces could then be reused in other glyphs such as the figure 3 …

Interestingly, I did the letters from scratch. I drew basic geometric shapes that I've connected/joined. S and G were the biggest problems for me. When I do half circles for S, it looks like some item from a Sci-Fi movie/game, I might need to give it a second thought.

For the numbers, which we don't really need actually but it would be nice to have, I've used regular font (Futura) and filled the counters and then modified the vectors a bit. I know it is lazy a bit. Maybe I can try to improve them. 

Thanks for the feedback Ralph, much appreciated.