Join our community of friends of typography!

Looking for a font...

John B

Greetings,

I'm looking for a font for use of its capital lettering. I have fairly detailed specifications, and I'm beginning to wonder if a font that meets them actually exists. It probably does, but there are so many to sift through I'm starting to lose it.

The easiest way I can describe the font, is as being identical to Proba Pro except that all crossbars should be on the same plane. For example, in Proba Pro, the "A" crossbar does not sit at the same elevation as the "B" "R" or "P" crossbar. All other elements of the font are as desired.

There are several fonts that meet the crossbar requirement, such as ITC Avant Garde Gothic but the "C" letter does not posses angled ends (they parallel the horizontal, which I do not want).

I've found a couple of others that also meet the crossbar requirement, but they have pointed ends, such as a pointed apex in their "A."

I received assistance in identifying a font here but it turned out that all crossbars were not on the same horizontal, which was not evident until the font was identified and I was able to inspect additional lettering.

I'm thankful for any assistance.

Edit: Some additional specifications:

• Should be geometric, no rounded edges anywhere
  • The "G" should not have a drop-bar at the end. The presence of a drop bar causes the "G" to resemble an arrow, which can be distracting, so this arrow effect must be avoided
  • The lower right leg on the "R" should be straight, and should rest flat on the lower plane
  • The "G" should have an inner bar
  • The font should have a "feminine" feel (this is subjective and will depend heavily on font weight, but I thought I would throw it out there)

If there are any other specification questions that you need answered in order to assist, please post them and I'll answer. I'll update this list as things pop into my head. I'm still sifting through fonts, going cross-eyed, etc.

Thanks.

John B

After going through all 75 pages of sans geometric fonts at fonts.com the closest thing I found is Mauve. No other font even came close, which is pretty sad. Mauve is much thinner than I'm looking for (even the bold version) and the "R" is...well, a disaster.

John B

Can anyone here describe the level of work or technical expertise that would be required to take "Proba Pro" and simply raise the "A" crossbar to be in line with "H" and the other letters?

Is this feasible? Difficult?

Edit: Just fount FontForge. Here goes nothing...

John B
17 minutes ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

Please keep in mind that most foundries’ EULAs don’t allow font modifications.

Ok, I'll have to look it up. I have no intent to re-sell; I assume that the intent of preventing modifications would be people piggybacking off other work and selling it as their own. If I can't modify, then I won't purchase the one I actually need (bold) which means they lose a sale. I doubt that's their intent but I'll look into it.

John B

Just as a follow up, there were some other crossbars not exactly on the same parallel as the others. I cleaned them up and this image shows some of the result. Now off to read the EULA and figure out what I'm allowed to do...

IDUDIT.png

Ralf Herrmann
6 hours ago, John B said:

I have no intent to re-sell; I assume that the intent of preventing modifications

No, it isn’t. If it says “no modifications” (as it does with the fonts discussed here) it means no modification. 

John B
53 minutes ago, Ralf Herrmann said:

No, it isn’t. If it says “no modifications” (as it does with the fonts discussed here) it means no modification. 

Hence why I said "I assume that the intent..." and not "I assume that the meaning..."

Ralf Herrmann

That wasn’t the point. The point is, there is no need to ponder intentions. “No modifications” means “no modifications”. It’s as simple as that. You can’t resell fonts anyway. So there is no point in trying to link the “no modification” clause to that. 

John B

Ralf, with all respect, I was the one making the point. The EULA is merely a place from which a conversation begins, and itself clearly states no modifications "...without prior written consent..." I'm already in discussion with its creator for consent. If I'm wrong about the originator's intent, then I will be denied an exception and simply won't purchase the font. If I'm correct about his intent, then I'll be granted an exception. It's as simple as that.

For anyone who cares, the font's creator over at Mint Type did grant written permission to modify his font in the manner described in this thread.

• very interesting! 1