Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

"The Crow" End Credits Font?

This typeface is similar to Julienne Slim, Mekanik, and Baucher Gothic, but many characters are different (Y, S M, N, I, J, Z, K). Any help is appreciated; thanks.

text_sample.jpg

• 1 year later...
Joshua Belyeu

Yes, these letters were taken from Blu-Ray captures of the film's ending credits; the only letter I couldn't get was a Q. I contacted the guy who actually did the titles back in '94, but he said the company he worked for no longer exists. I've thought of trying to recreate a font myself, based on these captures, but I don't have the right software.

Ignacio

Hi there, I have found this alphabet in the picture in page 59 of the book Lettering and Alphabets: 85 Complete Alphabets by J. Albert Cavanagh. If you erase the left part of the crossbar in some cases, and change that “Y” (no wonder) by a modified X... I think you would have it.

Sorry but there is no name for this type in the book, which first edition was in 1946. No idea if there is a digitized version but that Chrysler font that Kevin said look very very similar to this one but no so condensed.

5CDE90CE-651B-4111-BD12-4E9652E843CE.jpeg

• very interesting! 1
Ignacio

Actually, after looking for it in Google Images, looks like it could be Chrysler HTF Ultra Compressed with the crossbar modified, it has the same Y.

But I think that the original spark is that Typeface with no name.

• Like 1
Riccardo Sartori

I didn’t find an exact match either, just several similar designs, in addition to those already suggested by @Kevin Thompson, some more in spirit than in shapes. Here’s a few:

I also discovered that the alphabet showed by @Ignacio, which seems related to Huxley Vertical, has been digitised at least twice other than by Jonathan Hoefler with Chrysler: by Jeff Levine with Hagemann (complete with the crazy 4-shaped |Y|) and by Character with Varicka.

• Like 1
George Thomas
On 1/19/2019 at 8:11 AM, Joshua Belyeu said:

I contacted the guy who actually did the titles back in '94...

OK, but did he say they used a font for the titles, or did they order them from outside?

Joshua Belyeu
19 hours ago, George Thomas said:

OK, but did he say they used a font for the titles, or did they order them from outside?

I asked him what font was used, and he couldn't remember. But he did say that the company he worked for at the time no longer exists, so finding out which typeface would be almost impossible.

Joshua Belyeu
22 hours ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

I didn’t find an exact match either, just several similar designs, in addition to those already suggested by @Kevin Thompson, some more in spirit than in shapes. Here’s a few:

I also discovered that the alphabet showed by @Ignacio, which seems related to Huxley Vertical, has been digitised at least twice other than by Jonathan Hoefler with Chrysler: by Jeff Levine with Hagemann (complete with the crazy 4-shaped |Y|) and by Character with Varicka.

Chrysler Compressed is a very close match; I'd say about 95%. The side bars would need to be removed, and some of the center bars moved up...but otherwise that's it. Thanks so much, to all of you for this help. I've been trying to find this typeface for a long time.