The type specimens of the world in one database …

Typenovas

Martin Silvertant
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

I don't want to make a habit out of posting random designs, but I figured some of you may take take some enjoyment in seeing this. I took several letters from my typeface Baran and made these abstract illustrations. They're like type implosions.

Typenova I features /a and /e.

Typenova II features /g, /s and /x.

Typenova III features /y, /d and /i.

• 2 weeks later...
Nick Shinn

Veer published some lovely typographic “screensavers” 15 years ago.
This symmetry reminds me of one they did for Morphica, in which all 26(?) letters were layered on top of one another, centred, semi-transparent.

Martin Silvertant

Meaning doesn't seem relevant to me in this case, however I do like the notion of using full words as a way to project an identity onto the designs. Like, you could entitle these "god", "sex" etc. rather than using arbitrary titles.

The series would probably get meaning by doing it over and over again, and the series wouldn't be particularly interesting until it's a big collection. If I were to do that, than certainly it seems a smart idea to use words rather than arbitrary letters.

Veer published some lovely typographic “screensavers” 15 years ago.

That's interesting, because I made a consideration of whether I should continue this series considering that technically these designs are not impressive at all right now. They would have been far more impressive 15 years ago. But as I said, this series could become interesting with quantity.