Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Razor Face font (Elton John: Madman Across The Water)

Go to solution Solved by what_larx,

what_larx

I'd like to try to identify this font - it was a phototypesetting display font used in 1971 for song titles  on an album cover. I am trying to find a digital version.

Razor_font.jpg

Ralf Herrmann
On 4/7/2020 at 10:11 AM, what_larx said:

on an album cover. 

Which album cover? As per our rules, be specific. 

Riccardo Sartori

I was unable to find anything even remotely similar.

I think it has an interesting construction, but also that it is one example of those phototype experiments that never transitioned to digital.

what_larx

Riccardo - many thanks for your help towards finding this; I shall keep looking around, but, as you say, it never advanced into the computer era.

Thanks also for your contacting Florian re:'Tumbleweed Connection' - it's an interesting piece he's produced, and for me it brings back many memories.

Ignacio

I am almost sure that a sample of that typeface is in the Solotype Catalog. Can not check it since mine is in another place and I can’t move, like anyone in these days...

• very interesting! 1
  • Solution
what_larx

Ignacio - thanks for that lead. I was able to find 'Scott Gothic' quite quickly. When I have a little more time, I shall try to see if  anyone might have progressed this to digital.

Scott_Gothic.png

• Like 2
Gecko
On 4/11/2020 at 8:16 PM, what_larx said:

Many thanks for your help, Riccardo and Ignacio. I keep my fingers crossed.

Is this close enough for you?1689067429_RazorFace.jpg.f8238922f4a3ce00045081b56bbfcf3d.jpg - I drew it in Adobe Illustrator, if you like I can turn it into a typeface in fontographer.

• Like 1
what_larx

Gecko - I'm very impressed, many thanks for your interest !   This started as an inquiry from a client - and I'll have to see if they want to progress things further. Unfortunately, as with the rest of the world, things are 'on hold' at the moment, so I don't anticipate any decisions for quite a while yet. But I'll keep you in the loop if there's any further development.

Again - big thanks. - David

Gecko

what_larx David don't worry I went ahead and converted the illustrator file into a typeface. I added a few things like: commas, full stops, question marks quotes all that sort of stuff. I've already sent it to daFont.com so you should be able to pick it up from them in a couple of days. I'll notify you when they say it is online.