Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Is there a display version of Zapf Elliptical?

Go to solution Solved by Ralf Herrmann,

smartalec

I'm working on doing some logo revisions, and I don't have the original source files. (This happens way too often, right?) Anyway, the font they used is pretty clearly Zapf Elliptical, but either they found some odd version of it (a display version?), or they went to a lot of trouble to modify it by sharpening the corners amongst other things. The black text is their version; the green translucent overlay is the version of Zapf Elliptical I have. Check out the zoomed image for a better look.

So, my question to you: Is there a display version of Zapf Elliptical that I've never heard of? Or was there a version of it at some point with unrounded corners? Any Zapf Elliptical historians out there?

Thanks in advance!

711.thumb.png.b8830c58e041e6ee86564c64a6f6bb5d.png

zoom.png

• Solution
Ralf Herrmann

The font wasn’t originally issued as Zapf Elliptical. That’s just one of the many alternative names from the Bitstream collection. 

The typeface you are looking for is called Melior. Check out the available versions under that name. 

smartalec

Well, how about that! Thanks so much! Do you happen to know why there were such close siblings released under different names, both credited to Zapf?

Ralf Herrmann

It was to avoid trademark issues. Doesn’t matter much anymore today, since all the parties are now part of one company.