The type specimens of the world in one database …

Motorcycle number plate font

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

Davlea

Could someone kindly try and ID this font numbers and letters it was printed in the late seventies. It is for a motorcycle exhibit in a motor vehicle museum. I have made a major attempt to find this font with no luck, any help would be greatly appreciated.

AFA4EC8A-8238-4BFF-8725-9DA31681EE3E.jpeg

Ralf Herrmann

You added a little more information now and I approved it, but I am still not sure what we are seeing. Is it like a license plate, manufacturer number, a headline on a sign of the exhibition? Or something completely different? Those letters and numbers don’t mean anything to me, so it becomes harder to narrow down how they possibly produced it. 

At first glance it doesn’t look like it was typeset with a font in today’s understanding. It looks like a drawing, transferred with something like stencils. Especially those rounded parts on the M and W really point to that. 

So there simply might not be a font name. It could just be custom made for that sign or plate or whatever it is. 

• Like 1
Davlea

Thanks it is a uk motorcycle number plate the dealer supplied all their plates with the same font

• Solution
Riccardo Sartori

According to this site, the best digital approximation you can find is Lineto’s Lutz Headline. But it isn’t a very good match for |B|S| for example.

As Ralf noted, the fact that all plates used the same typeface doesn’t mean there is a digital font available (nor that it even has a name), it just mean that whoever made the plates had templates for all the letters and numbers needed.

Davlea

Thanks Riccardo this was probably the case with the templates indeed. The closest I have found and will probably use is Charles wright 1935.