The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Font from Art/Poem book from 1946 "ARP (Jean) & TAEUBER-ARP (Sophie). le siège de l'air. poèmes 1915-1945."

Gridnik

Hi,

I'm looking for the font from a Art/Poem book from 1946 or something similar.
The quirky double-story g makes it hard for me. When I do find something similar the decenders and ascenders seem too long.

Hope someone can help,
Thanks Heyman

image.png

Gridnik

Hi Kevin, Thanks for trying!

Metro does have those bowls to them, I like the cursive 'e'! What where they thinking haha.
Closest fonts I found is something like Brandon Grotesque or Arquitecta which do have some of the elements but are still very different.

Maybe someone else will find something.
Cheers Heyman

Riccardo Sartori
On 10/23/2020 at 11:44 AM, Gridnik said:

Maybe someone else will find something.

Not finding anything with such a quirky |g|. Also I’m not sure if the rounding that seems going on is a part of the original design or simply poor reproduction.

That said, alternatives may include:

Or you can always see if you can mould Universal Sans into your needs.

• 3 weeks later...
Gridnik

Hi Riccardo,

Sorry for the late response.

Thanks you for all the suggestions. There are some really nice fonts I never heard off before.
Didn't know the Universal Sans generator either, thanks.

marakaza

Is it possible it's hand-drawn? The g in 'quadrangle' seems a bit skinnier than the other g's, and there are slight differences in other letters as well, eg the two 4s

• very interesting! 1
Riccardo Sartori
38 minutes ago, marakaza said:

the two 4s

Even more so the two |5|s.

I doubt it was hand-drawn, but there is definitely something template-y or typewriter-y about it.

Gridnik

Could it be a linoleum cut? 

I fount some more info, at this point I don't think we're going to find the font but maybe it will be nice to include more info:

LE SIÈGE DE L'AIR : POÈMES 1915-1945

Hans (Jean) Arp - Artist 
Sophie Taeuber-Arp  - Artist

Alain Gheerbrant - author
Éditions Pro Francia - Publisher 
Grou Radenez - Printer 

Published: 1946

Kevin Thompson

The book measures approximate 8.75 x 6.6 inches, yes?

That makes the type display size (30 pt or better), not text size.

And now that Marakaza mentions it, I am also seeing enough variation in the letter forms to suggest that it might be lettering, not a typeface (note the variations in the tittle/dot size and position over the i|s).

It may very well be a hand-engraved plate.

Gridnik

Yes those the dimensions are close to what I found: 

Dimensions: 
22,5 x 17 cm.
8,86 x 6,7 inches

So if in fact it is hand carved or had engraved, then it could be an interpretation of a certain font or maybe even made up entirely ?

Kevin Thompson

Quite possibly.

I would need to see an actual copy of the book in order to determine if the type was offset printed, letter-pressed, or engraved. Keep in mind that this is a limited-edition artist's book (only 900 copies), not a mass-produced trade book, so the last two printing methods are more likely than the first.

Even though the type is remarkably uniform for hand lettering, it does show variations and is of sufficient size to executed by hand.

• 1 year later...
Gridnik

Thanks Kevin,

Loving the image that you uploaded.
Gothic make sense because of the double-story g. 

Thanks again to everyone posting here.

Heyman