Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Font from "ASCII Shader Demo" video

Go to solution Solved by Kevin Thompson,

WellDressedAnon

Looking for a digital version of the font used in this video. I'm fine with alternatives as long as they're also monospaced and have glyphs which take up the space of a square rather than a rectangle.

Riccardo Sartori

There is not much apart, from |@|$|, to positively identify it. It could well be a non monospaced typeface (in fact it’s similar to some non-monospaced versions of DIN).

What is more than likely is that the square matrix is not achieved by the font metrics alone, but forced by the software.

There are typefaces with perfectly square bounding boxes like Panoptica,  HWT Konop, and the aptly named Square.

As for generally wide monospaced typefaces, I didn’t find anything similar.

• Solution
Kevin Thompson

It appears to be several different weights of Montserrat.

Agree with Riccardo that the spacing is a function of the design/layout, not the typeface. The characters in the video don’t fill the exact same square space (the @ symbol is the largest, the $ % # are approximately the same size, and the asterisk occupies the smallest space).

• Like 1
WellDressedAnon

Yeah, I was worried that the spacing might be the software and not the font itself. I suppose if I wanted to replicate this I could just export the individual glyphs.

Thanks fellas, I'll probably end up going with either Square or Montserrat.