Join our community of friends of typography!

Looking for fonts with "softer" "rounded" accent marks

Dédé

I am looking for fonts that have softer, more rounded accent marks as you see in OGG, as an example, where they are more raindrop shaped. I haven't figured out how to search for such a thing and am looking for help. I am working on a project for myself - Dédé - and since my name has those two accent marks it is important to me for the font to feel right. Too many fonts have very sharp aggressive accent marks that just to not feel like me. And OGG is not quite right. Thank you

OGG font.png

Riccardo Sartori

Identifont allows to look for specific features in order to see which typefaces have them, but I don’t think the shape of accents is among them.

In any caso, I think your request is a bit too broad. There are plenty of typefaces with tear-shaped accents, but it would be really useful to narrow the field. For example, Ogg isn’t quite right, but close? Or you need something entirely different? And, if so, in which regard?

All that said, if it’s for a logo, it’s common practice to modify and adapt a typeface to suit one’s needs.

Dédé

This is great to hear that you are familiar with typefaces that have tear-shaped accents. This is what I am looking for. I do not know of any; I stumbled upon OGG. I would just like to be able to see some of them. There is something too winsome and precious about OGG - but of course other fonts with tear-shaped accents might be the same - but I won't know until I see them. My original question was how do I find them? I am very new to this space and really haven't a clue.

Riccardo Sartori
53 minutes ago, Dédé said:

My original question was how do I find them?

You could start looking at the serif fonts on the major resellers like FontSpring or MyFonts, setting Dédé (or the text of your choice) as sample text and see if you find something you like.

If you don’t find a perfect match, but close overall, you can ask in this forum if someone knows something similar with, say, teardrop accents.

Hope it helps.

Dédé

Thank you. Have spent a few hours doing this already and was hoping there was a better way. Thank you for chiming in though...I guess it is an odd thing to search.

R::bert
1 hour ago, Dédé said:

There is something too winsome and precious about OGG - but of course other fonts with tear-shaped accents might be the same - but I won't know until I see them.

This is why I recommended you Identifont and Ogg as a starting point. On the right side you find similar fonts to Ogg. On the left an overview with glyphs including accents for the similar font chosen. And even for this one you can find similar fonts and go step by step forward. At least this is my guess how to proceed with a “narrowed field” …

Ali Riza Esin

Not a method suggestion for the topic but, the example reminds me of Narziss by Hubert Jocham (A very high contrast display typeface with very thin strokes/finials. There is a text version which may be more suitable for its purpose). Heavy weights have very elegant —I think— raindrop shaped accent marks (acute, grave…) which are almost like raindrops, as you can check it here: https://www.hubertjocham.de/shop/type/display/Narziss/ (and/or) https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/hubertjocham/narziss/

• 3 months later...
Albert-Jan Pool

Many older Linotype typefaces had such grave and acute accents. They were practically shared between families, mostly text faces with serifs with higher contrast. Many of these accents survived the transition from hot metal to phototypesetting, some of them can even be found in digital fonts. Typically the thin ends were cut off horizontally, especially the flattened ones that also had to serve their duty above capitals, which make them look somewhat clumsy.