The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Curious about this font posted on r/VintageMenus: "The Canopy, Brighton Michigan, February 16, 1965"

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

• Solution
Riccardo Sartori
4 hours ago, JonathanB said:

how this menu was produced. (Typewriter?)

It appears so.

4 hours ago, JonathanB said:

It looks like an IBM Selectric font

Selectrics weren’t the only typewriters with script typestyles. I think your sample is from a Smith-Corona Electra , upon which this typeface is based. A very similar design was available on the Hermes 3000.

Jonathan Butterick
6 minutes ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

It appears so.

Selectrics weren’t the only typewriters with script typestyles. I think your sample is from a Smith-Corona Electra , upon which this typeface is based. A very similar design was available on the Hermes 3000.

That’s amazing, thank you. I had no idea that typewriters were available with such unusual, unchangeable fonts. So you might need an entirely separate typewriter for your more formal correspondence. Fascinating.

Gecko

Jonathan with the selectric typewriter you only need to change the actual printing head. Here is a video to demonstrate the process:

Jonathan Butterick
4 hours ago, Gecko said:

Jonathan with the selectric typewriter you only need to change the actual printing head. Here is a video to demonstrate the process:

Right. I know the Selectric has changeable heads. I’ve owned a few. But apparently this font is from a different typewriter, a Smith-Corona Electric, which uses typebars, which are *not* changeable. So apparently you’d have one typewriter dedicated to a font. Which is probably why the IBM Selectric destroyed the Smith-Corona.