Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Font corrupted? Or something else

Benny

Hi!
I am trying to figure out why some websites show a certain style of font - Im not sure which - in really REALLY small letters and obscure numbers. I've screen captured this image as an example from a page on ebay. It's not specific to just a single site. I've tried to locate a corrupted font in the fonts folder, with no luck. Any idea what might be causing this, or specifically how to fix it?

Capture.JPG

Ralf Herrmann

My first guess would be that it’s a (font) cache issue. I don’t know what operating system you use, but you could google options to delete font caches for that operating system. 

If it’s only happening to certain fonts, you could also try to uninstall them and then install them again. 

Riccardo Sartori

You can also look what font is specified by the website (how to do so depends on your browser) and see if there is a correlation among the websites where it happens.

Benny

Thank you for the replies. I have successfully cleared the font cache, but unfortunately the issue is unresolved.

The corrupted looking font is called: A Day without Sun

I have redownloaded the font and replaced it, however I still have the same visual issue.

Riccardo Sartori
4 hours ago, Benny said:

I have redownloaded the font and replaced it, however I still have the same visual issue.

Have you tried not to replace it? The problem seems not that the font is corrupted in some way, but rather that the browser is using it instead of the intended one.