The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Old Dutch banknote

Go to solution Solved by Kevin Thompson,

Aldo

Hi,

I am fascinated by the typography of the first half of XX century. This is a gorgeous example.

Can someone help me to find this font? Or maybe something similar?

Thank you.

Aldo

25-dutch-guilders-banknote-flora.jpg

• Solution
Kevin Thompson

Sorry, but I strongly suspect that everything but the line “Amsterdam, 18 Maart 1947” is actually calligraphy, not typesetting.

For the all-caps text, Nyfors is similar. Not finding anything particularly close for “De Nederlandsche Bank.”

• 4 weeks later...
Aldo

Dear group,

Anyway, do you have a suggestion for a font that could be similar - I love the lowercase "a"

Thanks,

Aldo

Riccardo Sartori
2 hours ago, Aldo said:

do you have a suggestion for a font that could be similar - I love the lowercase "a"

Unfortunately the typefaces I found that shares a similar construction of |a| couldn’t really be considered similar for the rest (starting from the lack of Italics): Celtics Modern, Gandalf.

It reminds me a little of the a from Windsor (and its contemporaries and derivatives) or Milton, but, again, nothing calligraphic.