Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Stamp of Byte Shop (back in 1976)

CharminArmin

Hello,

please have a look at the picture of a stamp of the Byte Shop computer store. They put those stamp on the Apple-1 manuals when they sold one. I have re-created the manuals and now want to give them the finishing touch by having a stamp produced and actually stamp them … (I know I am crazy …)

I tried to identify those THREE typefaces (the first and second line use DIFFERENT typefaces) using software but it does not really work, so I (again) rely on the wisdom of the gurus.

Any hint is highly appreciated. The one looks very similar to a Helvetica Neue Condensed, but there might be a closer variant. 

As to the Byte Shop Logo itself, I can not find any reference.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-07 um 11.53.32.png

CharminArmin
2 hours ago, Ralf Herrmann said:

Top one:

Thanks, Ralf! I wonder why I have so much difficulties in identifying those fonts when everybody else seem to get their identity in seconds … 😄

CharminArmin

Thanks to both of you for your input – awesome.

Can anybody say something about the SECOND line of the stamp ("Computer Store")?

Best

Armin

Ralf Herrmann

You already mentioned Helvetica. That is a good lead I would think. You can browse the available versions based on older version (than Neue) and maybe even Helvetica clones. 

CharminArmin

But the second line reading "Computer Store" is a different typeface than the first line. It is kinda similar, but it is definitely not the same typeface. This one I have not found yet.

Riccardo Sartori
2 hours ago, retroplace said:

"Computer Store" is a different typeface than the first line. It is kinda similar, but it is definitely not the same typeface.

Yes, it’s in the same very popular MICR style, but i couldn’t find it. It could have been born and then forgotten inside a rubber stamps manufacturer…

Riccardo Sartori
40 minutes ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

It could have been born and then forgotten inside a rubber stamps manufacturer…

Then, perhaps, not. The most similar I can find is (the lowercase of) 256 Bytes, inspired by the Altair 8800 logo. Unfortunately it only has uppercase shapes, but could be a good starting point for the necessary modifications.

CharminArmin
2 hours ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

Then, perhaps, not. The most similar I can find is (the lowercase of) 256 Bytes, inspired by the Altair 8800 logo. Unfortunately it only has uppercase shapes, but could be a good starting point for the necessary modifications.

Is the link of 256 Bytes correct - I get an error …

CharminArmin

Here is a question: Would I find somebody on this forum who could recreate the words "Computer Store" for me? Or the whole thing? It's not a huge task, I know, but could anybody be bothered to take on this mission (of course, this would be a paid job!).

• very interesting! 1
Riccardo Sartori

I hope that in the meantime you have found someone that actually knows what they do. If not, here is my stab at "Computer Store". Use it freely, and, if you notice something very wrong, I may or may not be able to fix it (please keep in mind that while my node pushing skills are rudimentary, my curve wrangling ones are non-existent).

compustore.pdf

• Like 2
CharminArmin
52 minutes ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

I hope that in the meantime you have found someone that actually knows what they do. If not, here is my stab at "Computer Store". Use it freely, and, if you notice something very wrong, I may or may not be able to fix it (please keep in mind that while my node pushing skills are rudimentary, my curve wrangling ones are non-existent).

compustore.pdf 6.62 kB · 1 download

I did NOT expect that – that is bloody awesome! Thanks so much! Please send me your postal address via personal message, and I will happily send you the reprints I did WITH the stamp on it once I have it made by a stamp manufacturer. 

• Like 1
CharminArmin

Ladies & Gentlemen, 

today I have received the permission to use the Byte Shop Logo Stamp by the founder of Byte Shop himself, Paul Terrell. Background: Paul had been the person that ordered the first 50 Apple-1 computers paying 25.000 USD on delivery. This order sparked the foundation of the company called "Apple" today.

What a day …

• Like 1
  • very interesting! 1