Join our community of friends of typography!

Looking for font from New York historical markers

Go to solution Solved by Kevin Thompson,

chantyce

I'm trying to identify the sans serif font that's used on New York historical markers. These markers can be found across New York state. 

The font Handelson Five is a close approximation but I need a font without distress. I reached out to the creator and unfortunately it's not available without the distress.

Any tips are greatly appreciated, thank you!

First_Railroad_Marker.jpg

• Solution
Kevin Thompson

Ralf, the creator of this website, has a very good explanation as to why there isn’t a typeface behind every letter you see.

Catskill Castings currently makes the signs, having taken over from the original company, Walton Foundry—you could reach out to them and ask if they have digitized the type, but I wouldn’t hold my breath for a positive answer.

As you’ve already begun to explore, your best option is to find an existing digital typeface that approximates the look.

Milestone One is close, though the leg of the R and vertex of the M are all wrong.

Barlow Semi Condensed is even closer, though the S isn’t as squared-off.

Gineso Titling Bold is another good option.

Caligor Clean or Edge might work, though the counter of the R is more rectangular than square.

Imperfecta, Flounder, and Clarke are all good options.

• Like 3
chantyce

I suspected there wasn't a 1:1 typeface as you suggest.

These are all very solid options, thank you! I can't believe Barlow was right under my nose the whole time.