The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Vril or Vital Magnetism main text font

Go to solution Solved by Kevin Thompson,

venom

Hello! I am looking for exact font name used in main text of book "Vril or Vital Magnetism" published in Chicago by A. C. McClurg & Co. in 1911, republished in 1970 by Health Research Box. Please look at the word "glama" too, typesetted on page 9 (see link bellow) because of letter "g" shape. Is it the same font used in main text or it belongs to another font family?

Link: https://archive.org/details/VrilOrVitalMagnetism/page/n5/mode/2up

Thanks!

Riccardo Sartori

Unfortunately the sample is a bit too fuzzy for a positive ID, however, it is reasonable to assume that glama is indeed the same typeface: it is in fact usual that for |a|f|g| (and sometimes other letters too),  Italic fonts use more cursive forms (|a|f|g|) than their Roman counterparts.

As you can probably see, the text typeface used in this very forum is an example of this.

venom

Thanks for your reply. Do you know the name of typeface used in whole book? For the first time I thought it is Caslon. I read some short history of Caslon font family. But Caslon typefaces available on web have not the italic shape of letter "g" like in this book. Or it belongs to Baskerville font family?