The type specimens of the world in one database ā€¦

Looking to identify a rare Italian book cover font published in 1970 (Il Dio in cui non credo)

ninifee

I have been relentlessly looking to identify this font but alas I cannotĀ šŸ˜”

I need the help of gurus.

The font appears as the titles on the cover of 2 Italian books published in the same years 1970

Here are the details of one of the books:

Bookseller: Biblioteca di Babele (Italy)
Publication year: 1970
Publisher: Cittadella
Subjects: RELIGION RELIGIONS
Size: 19 X 11
Shipping Weight: 160g
Binding: Paperback
Edition: IIED
Series: Spirituality of our time
Place of publication: ASSISI

Ā 

PLEASE, if you know this I will be eternally grateful. Thanks

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 10.44.36 AM.png

cristo-da-riscoprire-juan-arias.jpg

ninifee
On 10/16/2021 at 5:07 PM, Kevin Thompson said:

Whatever it was (if it was a typeface), it has not survived into the digital age.

Similar to Times Modern.

Do you think it might have been redrawn from an existing typeface? I thought it might have been even a version Caslon D OT. Rare but possible...

Riccardo Sartori
1 hour ago, ninifee said:

I thought it might have been even a version Caslon D OT.

Caslon D seems to be a version of Caslon Black, which indeed share some similarities with the samples. There were a number of this kind of titling typefaces (some of which you can see under ā€œRelated typefacesā€ in the page linked by Kevin), but usually they were bolder than the one on these covers, and few have been digitised.

In any case I couldnā€™t find anything with a similar tittle (the |i| dot).

Additionally, if I recall correctly, there where alphabets meant just to be xeroxed and that never were typefaces in the traditional sense.

And, there are the two different |d|s in the first sample, that could be alternates or an indication of a custom job.