Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Question About Proper Type Alignment for Logo

johnbarnesiii

Hi guys,

When using a script or calligraphic style font and a serif font below to create a logo, I'm wondering which of the 2 type alignments is more 'correct', A or B? 

I know its about preference at the end of the day, however that being said is there a loose 'rule' on this if going by proper typography?

P.S. This is just a quick example made in 10 seconds to illustrate what I'm trying to create, not a real logo. Thanks!

Untitled-1 cdopy 2.jpg

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Riccardo Sartori

As you said, is a matter of preference, but also of optical balance.

In your specific sample I probably would go with A), but would use the left stem of |M| as reference rather than its serifs, and also would align the |E| on the right with the bowl of |e|, not with its exit stroke.

• Like 1
Ralf Herrmann

A is certainly better.

I would also add: Don’t do it mathematically. The serifs of the M don’t really count as they are too thin. So, in version A, I would move the bottom line slightly further to the left. 

johnbarnesiii
13 hours ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

As you said, is a matter of preference, but also of optical balance.

In your specific sample I probably would go with A), but would use the left stem of |M| as reference rather than its serifs, and also would align the |E| on the right with the bowl of |e|, not with its exit stroke.

Thanks so much, very good points. I did not think to align stem vs serifs, good call and much appreciated.

• Like 1
johnbarnesiii
13 hours ago, Ralf Herrmann said:

A is certainly better.

I would also add: Don’t do it mathematically. The serifs of the M don’t really count as they are too thin. So, in version A, I would move the bottom line slightly further to the left. 

Thanks Ralf, I agree, A is my aesthetic preference as well. I'll adjust the M per your suggestion, thanks again and all the best.