The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Looking for this font used by the Royal Netherlands Navy on several aircraft from the 1970s.

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

SkytechCEO

Howdy, looking for the font used by several Netherlands aircraft from the 1970s, as seen in my attached picture. I've tried looking for it for the past hour or two and just kept ending up at dead ends. I know it was primarily used on helicopters from the Koninklijke Marine, starting from at a minimum of the early to late 60s, if not early 70s. It seems specifically to be a font used by the Royal Netherlands Navy, but I just can't pin down exactly when they started using it on their aircraft.

Anyways, specifically looking for the exact font, I don't really mind if it's paid or free, though if it's paid, I won't say no to any possible free alternatives.

image.png.78649e5fdab8d2634ecb60edeef2bf38.pngAgusta-Bell-UH-1-MLD-228-Ypenburg-28-5-1970-dia-coll.J.A.Engels-kodak5032-9-9a.thumb.jpg.c9a3b6524c0f825aae8ceed782721ef1.jpg

• Solution
Riccardo Sartori

I sincerely doubt it ever had a name, or a presence outside the shop where the letters were produced.

There are many typefaces that mimic this kind of constructed alphabet, each one with its specific features.

With better samples it may be possible to find something close.

SkytechCEO
2 hours ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

I sincerely doubt it ever had a name, or a presence outside the shop where the letters were produced.

There are many typefaces that mimic this kind of constructed alphabet, each one with its specific features.

With better samples it may be possible to find something close.

I'll keep poking around for better and additional samples, but you're almost certainly correct on that one. I'll probably use one of the similar typefaces that I found.