Join our community of friends of typography!

Name of typography style where small caps letters are written in the empty spaces of other letters

Yuri

Hi - I'm looking for the name of a typographic style often used in vintage / antique titles, associated with fairy tales. Where a letter fits in the blank space of another letter - often for fitting text to be a block, for instance "a" written under "T"

I have seen it used in works by Otto Hupp among others

Thank you

Riccardo Sartori

Some example would have been useful. In any case, if I understood correctly, what you are talking about are space-saving ligatures, derived from stone engravings and manuscripts. An analogue effect is called interlocking

They can also be called nested glyphs.

• Like 3
Yuri
2 hours ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

Some example would have been useful. In any case, if I understood correctly, what you are talking about are space-saving ligatures, derived from stone engravings and manuscripts. An analogue effect is called interlocking

They can also be called nested glyphs.

Hi! could not find how to mark it as "solved" but this was exactly what I was looking for! very much appreciated. I was looking for good examples but could not find any not knowing how it is called 🙂