Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Need help identifying font engraved on Graflex camera flash

Go to solution Solved by Ralf Herrmann,

GCA64

Hello, and thanks in advance for your help...
Attached is a photo of the bottom metal cap of a 3-battery 1940s/50s camera flash.
I can't find a match for the sans-serif all-caps font. The capital letters K and R are unique.
I can't find a match for "GRAFLEX" either—although I suspect it may be custom.
Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Geoff

graflex_fonts.png

• Solution
Ralf Herrmann

Pretty sure the thin typeface is custom. At that time, named typefaces were for letterpress printing and there was no way to use them for engraving. 

• Like 1
GCA64

Great eye, MissNobody. Viva Bold Condensed is close enough to pull into Illustrator and manipulate into a match. The GRAFLEX font looks like a 'sans-serif' version of Viva. Thank you so much! -Geoff

GCA64

Ralf—Alas, I think you're absolutely correct. Parts of the thin sans-serif engraving look cobbled from other known typefaces. Appreciate your time and reply. Thank you! -Geoff