Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Different renderings of the letter K in Corben font

Go to solution Solved by Ralf Herrmann,

Jasnick

Using Corben font for headings and have noticed a different K used in different words:

K in Beiderbecke has a loop joining it to the preceding letter C

L in Parker is normal as expected

Does anyone  have any idea why this is?  My client will be sure to ask!

Thanks

K2.jpg

K.jpg

• Solution
Ralf Herrmann

It’s a ck ligature that replace c and k. In this specific font, it is implemented in the OpenType feature “standard ligatures”, so it is on by default and can only be turned off by turning off all standard ligatures. That’s a bit usual. The better choice is to implement these ligatures as “discretionary ligatures”, so they can be turned on only when needed. 

Jasnick

Thank you so much Ralf.  I've not come across this sort of thing before so how do I go about replacing  standard ligatures with discretionary?

I installed Google Fonts  as a plugin.

Thanks again.

Ralf Herrmann

As a font user, you can’t change that. It’s something the type designer would do. 

As a user, you can only turn off ligatures in your app or CSS code for websites.