The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Looking for the two fonts on this Pink Motel's neon signage from the 1950's(?)

Go to solution Solved by GDL,

GDL

Hello. I found this swell image on a Google search for neon signs. It’s from a vintage (1950’s?) motel sign, Pink Motel to be exact. The letters are beautiful and fit a mid-century vibe. The image is from the Memphis Sign Company website, https://www.memphissigncompany.com/neon_galleries.html 10 Hollywood Blvd. S.W. Fort Walton Beach, FL.

I’m looking for digital font versions. Personal or commercial fonts are fine. A free alternative if possible would be great! Any close matches would do as well.

Thank you for your time.

Greg

2375268372_bd2b7a631d.jpg

Kevin Thompson

If the sign actually dates from the 1950s or earlier, then we are talking about lettering, not typefaces.

For MOTEL, Mont could replicate the look. Squaring off the terminals of Kabel Black (and lengthening the crossbar of the E) could work as well.

Pink is more of a challenge—Peaches and Cream has a similar vibe.

• Like 1
  • Solution
GDL

Kevin thank you so much for your suggestions! You are absolutely correct about the signage terminology of “lettering" and not typeface. I just forgot. 😑 

I wanted to show you what I came up with. Being able to draw is a big PLUS with type modification. Maybe this will help others to explore and never give up!

Cheers,

Greg 

Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 9.12.27 AM.png

Edited by GDL
Simpler
  • very interesting! 1
Kevin Thompson

Also similar for Pink: FF Eggo Pro Black and Mr. Rafkin

And lettering vs. typeface isn't so much a question of terminology, but of means of production—there were no digital typefaces in that era, and large display type of the kind used on this sign would have been created by a lettering artist, not by going to a printer and setting metal type and scaling it up via stat camera (and phototypesetting doesn't become common until the end of that decade).