The type specimens of the world in one database …

Serif font similar to Perpetua/Garamond? (Phantom Thread Movie)

Go to solution Solved by typecase,

Kevin Thompson

Sorry, Brainiac, but Cormorant only bears a passing resemblance to the Phantom Thread type.

I've been searching for this for days, and so far no luck. The same ID request has been posted on Fontid.co and the WhattheFont forum, and has yet to be solved.

The Phantom Thread typeface shares characteristics with a number of other Roman Capital-inspired faces, like Trajan and Perpetua Titling, but isn’t a close match to anything I can find—even with revision.

Have patience, Will. I’m sure someone will ID it, but not soon....

• Like 1
Kevin Thompson

Thanks, Riccardo.

Eclipse does the key art for many major film releases. It’s possible that it is a custom typeface created specifically for this project, to go along with the theme of bespoke clothes...

The annoying thing is that the face has an asymmetrical dash very similar to the one in Trajan (see Daniel Day-Lewis), but the letter forms are unique.

• 1 month later...
  • Solution
typecase

I finally figured this one out after looking for it for months. I think it's the Janet typeface used designed by woodcutter Reynolds Stone. Reynold's stone was an inspiration for the name of the main character in the film too as Daniel Day Lewis was apparently close with the designer.

http://luc.devroye.org/fonts-23814.html

ReynoldsStone-WoodEngravedAlphabet-1950.

• very interesting! 1
Kevin Thompson

Well done, everyone.

This makes me very happy, not only because the mystery has been solved, but also because the use of the typeface for the movie illustrates the collaborative process of those who worked on the film.

The Reynolds Stone website includes a photo of Daniel Day-Lewis and his sister Tamasin as children. Day-Lewis may be retiring from acting, but I hope he’ll continue to find creative outlets moving forward.

Janet was produced in metal before it was digitized....

Tobias Baskin

I too noticed the font as it whizzed by in the titles and loved the look of it, and then came upon this hopefully not so phantom thread. Any chance that the "Eclipse - Janet" will be sold? Any idea how to contact "Eclipse" to ask them? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Juan Bruce

Great thread you've made, type detectives! Amazing story in that video. My search for information about the typeface started after watching the movie this morning and looking at this scene. I thought it was going to be a way more difficult task, but you've made all the hard work.

Capturadepantalla.jpg

• 2 years later...
Andy Benedek

I digitised Reynolds Stone's typeface, Janet, from the original engraving for Humphrey Stone, to celebrate the birthday of his father. There are four optical variants, namely Display, Heading, Text and small text, in addition to which there are the matching italics. The engraved letterforms formed the basis of the Display face. The other three variants were derived using the precepts of 'optical compensation'. The most recent use of Janet is the setting of the text in Humphrey Stones memoir of his father, which is a fascinating read.

Andy Benedek

• Like 1
  • very interesting! 1
  • 1 year later...