Join our community of friends of typography!

Reynolds Stone engraving font

Go to solution Solved by Ralf Herrmann,

Michał Wojtkowski

You're absolutely right. I didn't make myself clear, my apologies.

I'm looking for a typeface that resembles it as much as possible. It looks like an ancient Roman engravement lettering and one can find some examples on the web so I believe there's a font that matches it. "Slim" S, and J not going below the baseline are pretty characteristic. Only capital letters.

• Solution
Ralf Herrmann

I doubt you will find a close match. It’s an individual artwork. But the general style is of course available.  

(The last one has no J descender)

Or check the “Similar to Trajan” list, since that is what it boils down to:

http://www.identifont.com/find?similar=Trajan&q=Go

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
henrykirton

@Michał Wojtkowski

Reynolds Stone did design typefaces and not just carve. Ralf Herrmann is forgivably mistaken. There is his original private typeface named 'Janet' for his wife and used by Litton Cheney Press. There is also his reworking of Minerva commissioned by Linotype that was introduced to the public in 'Linotype Matrix', no. 21, Jan. 1955. It was discontinued in the early 1970s. No digital versions exist, although KTKM have produced a typeface after Reynolds Stone called KM Minerva, but it is not published.

Ralf Herrmann
5 minutes ago, henrykirton said:

Reynolds Stone did design typefaces and not just carve. Ralf Herrmann is forgivably mistaken. 

Mistaken about what exactly? I didn’t claim that he never created typefaces. I only assumed that the image shown in the first post is not typeset. 

Kevin Thompson

Janet has already been discussed here at length in another thread.

And Ralf is perfectly correct. Reynolds Stone’s original wood engraving of the Janet alphabet was eventually translated into a metal typeface, not the other way round. A digital version exists as well—its use is tightly controlled and limited by Reynolds Stone’s estate, but did appear in the promotional materials for The Phantom Thread (starring Daniel Day Lewis, whose family was close friends of the Stones).

• Like 1
henrykirton
18 hours ago, Ralf Herrmann said:

Mistaken about what exactly? I didn’t claim that he never created typefaces. I only assumed that the image shown in the first post is not typeset. 

I'm sure something was lost in translation. Apologies.

• Like 1