The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

The Verge Typeface

Go to solution Solved by Ralf Herrmann,

Seppl

Hey there,

I'm looking into copying The Verges Font Style for Body font. I know it's Helvetica, but there are so many Helvetics out there. Which one would I need to buy so it's the right font? Thank you!

• Solution
Ralf Herrmann

It’s the one on your computer. :winking:

They don’t deliver a webfont for the body copy. They just instruct the browser to use Helvetica on the reader’s device or to use the default sans-serif font. 

.c-entry-content {
    font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-weight: 300;
}

Seppl

Ah, I see. Thank you. So when I want the font on my page look like that, what settings would I need to configure? Because choosing the same height in relation and font color, it looks very different from what I'm seeing on The Verge. Also it seems like I can't find a 300 weight version of Arial.

Riccardo Sartori
57 minutes ago, Seppl said:

I can't find a 300 weight version of Arial

According to Mozilla:

for fonts that provide only normal and bold, 100-500 are normal, and 600-900 are bold.

Seppl

So, I have a question. Albeit it being just Arial, I just don't get size and line-height quite right so that it looks about the same as with The Verge. Is there any special trick they applied? Or is there any trick on how to recalculate font settings for my own page? It seems like font size isn't font size, depending on the framework.

Ralf Herrmann

Nothing special going on. These are the settings applied to the paragraphs:

font-size: 18px;
line-height: 1.6;
margin-bottom: 1.2rem;
text-rendering: optimizeLegibility;
color:#424242;