The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Technical issue font conversion (Chinese characters Excel)

Finbarr

I have downloaded an excel file from a Chinese website onto my mac and can't display the fonts. For example this: ѧºÅ should read something like "ID number" and this : Íõ½£Ãô should display as a name in simplified Chinese characters. If I paste these weird fonts into google I get a lot of links to Chinese websites so I figure there is information in there somewhere. I have tried the usual font change method in both excel and numbers but just get versions of the above and no Chinese although my mac has all the fonts I need to display Chinese. So I googled 'font guru' and here I am. Can you help?

Ralf Herrmann

Looks like there is a character encoding issue. Either the file is encoded in a non-standard way or the problem happens during opening the file (which is suspect). 

Can anyone access that download? If we could check it out, we could probably identify the issue more easily. 

Finbarr

Unfortunately you need to be on this network to access the files. I did however manage to copy and paste the characters from an online version, took me hours but the problem is resolved, until next semester. Thank you for taking the time to look into it.