Join our community of friends of typography!

Font Identification Westminster Abbey grave plate

Go to solution Solved by JAW,

Hi, 

I found a grave plate in the Westminster Abbey with fonts I would like to use. I think these are familiar fonts, but I cant figure out the names. Can anybody help?

IMG_20180212_120401.jpg

• Solution
JAW

Just for fun information — the Westminster Abbey website says the stone was lettered by Ieuan Rees. Rees has a website, http://www.ieuanreeslettering.co.uk, with contact info. Maybe you could email him, tell him you admired his work, and ask if his calligraphy for this stone was influenced by any general type styles (not specific faces). Or maybe that would be rude...

Anyway, for the the stuff in the outer ring and the center (everything but Lewis Carroll's name), if you're OK  with something that only has a similar feel and rhythm but not the calligraphic details, you could probably do worse than Corvallis or Corvallis Sans, ITC fonts found at the Linotype.com site.

As far as the letterforms in the author's name, they almost have a bit of a feel of a slab serif like Egyptian Slate Medium (a Monotype font), as far a where the serifs occur (I'm looking at the "S" and "C") but the character shapes are more classical and have less evenly-weighted strokes — and then there's that Celtic E. Fun stuff!

5a8664e8cc024_ScreenShot2018-02-15at11_48_12PM.thumb.png.c30b2fff0014daa96b4d1b111175804f.png

5a8664fa74f94_ScreenShot2018-02-15at11_54_53PM.png.3d10ec348c0da95a7c51d92db5b48459.png

• Like 2