Typography.Guru
Guest bailey97

Gill Sans - Eric Gill

Guest bailey97

A short questionnaire regarding the typeface Gill Sans designed Eric Gill.

Do you work in the creative industries?

Could you identify the typeface using the image below?

Can you identify some examples of where Gill Sans has been used?

Gill Sans was designed to compete with Futura. Depending on the application required, what typeface would you be more inclined to use?

Using the article attached, explaining in more depth Eric Gill’s personal reputation, can you separate the artist from the abuser? https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/apr/09/eric-gill-the-body-ditchling-exhibition-rachel-cooke

gill sans letterforms.png

George Thomas

This is the same person who posted a similar item on the same subject in multiple online forums about a month ago except at that time it was allegedly research for his/her thesis. It got flagged as spam at that time and likely still is.

Gecko

Sounds like bailey wants someone to do their homework for them!

Ralf Herrmann

It’s questions about typography, so it is allowed here. Cross-posting on multiple sites isn’t something I would specifically encourage, but we don’t have any rules against it. So it counts as valid topic. Anyone is free to answer or ignore the questions of course. Running questionnaire as part of research also seems perfectly fine to me. 

Ralf Herrmann

Please be a bit more careful guys. As expected the user instantly deleted the account after reading the criticism. Which is not what we as an online community should want. 

George Thomas

OK, but deleting their account is not what I would expect. When challenged, a succinct explanation about why they want the information would suffice, if indeed it was not spam.

As someone in another forum wrote about it, it appeared to them the poster was more interested in Gill's personal foibles than they were in type because the lead-in questions are so simple and generic.

Gecko

Sorry no offence meant to anyone.

singzeon

Sounds very much like homework to me.