Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Searching for the original Channel Master font

Shelley O'Connell

Hi, this is Shelley, marketing director at Channel Master. Our company was formed in 1949 and went through lots of acquisitions and spin-offs through the decades. All we have are eps files of our logo and we don't know what the original font was. This font first appeared in the logo in the mid-late 1950s. In the 50s and 60s the logo appeared in all caps. In the 70s the logo was revised to use lower-case letters, same font, which is still the current logo in use today. I'm a graphic designer by trade and I've looked high and low for this font. No luck. Any help with identification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Channel Master Logo Black trans.png

cm today show ad 1959 garroway.jpg

CM fun on the go.JPG

CM Classic quick kit lr.jpg

Ralf Herrmann

As explained here, magazine logos usually were custom designs back in those times. 

I can’t rule out that there was a font like that, but there doesn’t have to be one.

• 3 weeks later...
Ignacio

I think that the typeface of the logo with lower case actually is different than the one in all caps. Check carefully the "C" of both logos.

Ignacio

Don't know if it is very useful but I think that your first logo, all caps, could be made with or from a type very similar to Karnak Black Condensed Italic, just a little bit more condensed, I have been looking for a Karnak Black Extra Condensed Italic with no luck.

The original is an old type, could be for the time.

Check the S and R.

Channel_Master_Karnak.png

• Like 2