Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

What is this typeface from a Latin-English dictionary?

Go to solution Solved by George Thomas,

brainiac

This is my only sample supplied from a Latin–English dictionary published in 1948. Reminiscent of Cheltenham, but too many discrepancies rule that out.

Please help me identify this. Thank you in advance your your time and effort.

Looking for a digital version. Commercial fonts are fine.

correctio 1.jpg

brainiac

New info just in: Original sample is from: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015011488064
(Jump to: Pg. 250)

"A Lexicon of Thomas Aquinas Based on The Summa Theologia and selected passages of his other works"

By Roy J. Deferrari, Ph.D and Sister M. Inviolata Barry Ph.D
Published by Catholic University of America Press (Washington, DC) and printed by the John D. Lucas Printing Co. (Baltimore, Maryland) 1948-1949

• Solution
George Thomas

Here we go: text is Farmers Old Style with Italic, and the bold is Clearface Bold. Machine composed on a Monotype. Farmers does not appear to be available commercially under that name, while Clearface is widely available. If you would like a hi-res scan of the Farmers face, let me know.

brainiac

Thank you.

52 minutes ago, George Thomas said:

If you would like a hi-res scan of the Farmers face, let me know.

That would be much appreciated.