Join our community of friends of typography!

An 1866 publification but whats the Font? (Reading without Tears)

Go to solution Solved by Kevin Thompson,

BML

This book was published in 1866 and was allegedly used to help teach reading to Winston Churchill although with little success. I would very much like to know what font was used. 

image.png.751e202c79f1fa1ad16b8452594ae0da.png

1866 font.docx

Kevin Thompson

There are at least five typefaces in your sample—are you interested in identifying all of them, or just a few in paticular?

BML

As a one time employee of a national newspaper in production management who sticks to Times Roman I would like to know a little about them all if you have the time.  Many thanks. 

Kevin Thompson

“Author of Peep of the Day” resembles “typewriter” faces that were popular much later in the century, but your sample is too early for it to be one of them (the typewriter wasn’t invented until 1868).

The full paragraph of type might be Antique No. 4 (again from Bruce's).

BML

Many thanks for the information.  My interest stems from being lucky enough to work at the FT when it was using hot metal production methods now all dead as computerization took over. I do accept that computerization offers greater flexibility for the layman but it lacks the soul of the printers I knew.  Many thanks for your time and knowledge.