The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

We've lost our source document and I need to edit the PDF

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

Meddysong

I work for an educational charity and I need to get a reprint of some booklets we prepared in 2009/2010. Since then our domain has changed and our original publisher has gone out of business, so we need to use another.

The start of the booklet contains a reference to this old domain name and printer, so I need to edit the document. Unfortunately, we no longer have the original documents. I've tried to edit the text in Adobe Acrobat but it's reporting that there's no identified system font and so won't allow me to make the change.

Here are parts of the document which I need to edit:

Untitled-1.jpg.1695b0eaa3176e8695036c908a057501.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg.5bc439ee7c45248eb1e6ae7fa8e239db.jpg

I've also attached an extract of this particular page in case that is useful to you.

Thank you in advance for your help!

mg-extract.pdf

• Solution
Riccardo Sartori

The font appears to be Cambria, but the PDF seems to have embedded it with a different name.

Since you appear to have access to Acrobat, my advice would be to recreate the entire page in a word processor (or design software), export to PDF, then insert it in the document (and delete the old one).

• Like 1
Meddysong

Thank you, Riccardo. I think you've got it perfect.

I'll give recreating the document a go. Or maybe opening the original in Photoshop and adding some new text.

Thanks!

Meddysong

In rebuilding the document in Word, it's become clear to me that the header font is different. It seems to have a quite distinctive i, n, t and r.

Would you happen to know which font this is, Riccardo?

Untitled-1.jpg.a51395dccfbbbf65bc711c0974f0111e.jpg

Meddysong

Ah, man ... I remember the days when I used Calibri and Cambria because they were the default body and header fonts in Word! It's perhaps quite sad that I can't recognise them 😞 I'm sure I'd have been fine with Verdana, Tahoma and Arial, which were my regular fonts before those ones!

Thanks, Ralf.