Typography.Guru
1940LaSalle

Relatively new; looking for type design reference materials

1940LaSalle

I'm rather new to the field, and coming from an engineering background, I'd like to get my hands on reference materials, handbooks, etc. that spell out guides / rules / recommendations for proportions, stroke weights, and the like.  What are good sources of this sort of information? 

By the way, I use FontCreator, since the purchase price for FontLab for a hobbyist is pretty steep: not prepared to invest that kind of money until I see some results of the font design learning curve.

Ralf Herrmann

I start with a link to a similar topic:

George Thomas

@1940LaSalle-- whatever you do, DO NOT visit typophile.com unless you want to be infected with a virus. Reports lately to that effect, so avoid it until they get it fixed.

Also, it's not the best place to learn much of anything anymore unless searching their archives.

ETA: Today was informed that the malware is a Trojan Bitcoin miner rather than a virus so chances of infection are not severe. Still would pay to proceed with caution.