The type specimens of the world in one database …

Alcoholics Anonymous "The Big Book" dust wrapper 1st 1954 typeface

Go to solution Solved by Ignacio,

chiollagh

I need the typeface (if one) as used on the dust wrapper of the first edition of AA's "The Big Book" published in 1954.

Thanks,

Stephen

AA BB Cover 1st.jpeg

• Solution
Ignacio

Watching it closely and knowing the year I would say it’s a nice piece of Lettering, not a typeface/font. Besides the two different “l” I think I can see very small differences between the same letters… would be better to know with a bigger sample.

Ronde Script and Typo Upright are kind of similar in style but not so condensed.

• Like 2
George Thomas

@Ignacio is absolutely correct about it being lettering. That was just the way many things were done during those years, and as he said, there are numerous small differences.

chiollagh

Thanks for the replies. We were doubtful whether it was a typeface or not especially as it appears just on the dust wrapper. But we thought there might be a typeface that lay behind the lettering that acted as inspiration.

Stephen

Riccardo Sartori
11 hours ago, chiollagh said:

there might be a typeface that lay behind the lettering that acted as inspiration.

Nowadays the opposite would be most probable.

11 hours ago, chiollagh said:

Grand Hotel has been suggested as a typeface similar to the lettering used.

While the shape of the letter is similar, it lacks the stroke modulation (thick/thin).

• Like 1