Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Fender guitars 1952-1967 model name font

TypeToby

Hi!

I'm looking to find out what font this actually is... it looks very much like a Futura, but the letters are a little bit wider and some glyphs, like the "J" look a little different.

The font is used on Fender guitars between 1952 and 1967 (and the modern reproductions as well), so it has to have existed in the 50s. There is also an "oblique" version used on the word "FLOATING".

I would like to know exactly what typeface this is, and also where to get it. If possible, also a free alternative if it is very very close to the original.

Thanks so much!

Tobi

fenderfont.jpg

TypeToby

Oh, and there are some repro logos available that seem to use the original typeface, so it seems like there exists a digital version.

Thanks again!

Ralf Herrmann
1 hour ago, TypeToby said:

Oh, and there are some repro logos available…

Where? Can we see the link/images?

George Thomas

None of the Futura or Futura lookalikes I examined have a cap /J like the one shown. It may
be that the original actually was Futura but for logo purposes they modified the /J. That is one
solution you might look at.

TypeToby

I did some more reseach and it seems like most repro logos use different fonts – either Futura with the wrong "J" or a mix of Futura and what seems to be Helvetica.

I could imagine the original is some older Futura variant that isn't that easily available today?

After all, it's a US guitar, o they probably didn't just buy the Swiss metal type.

TypeToby
2 minutes ago, George Thomas said:

None of the Futura or Futura lookalikes I examined have a cap /J like the one shown. It may
be that the original actually was Futura but for logo purposes they modified the /J. That is one
solution you might look at.

Yes, would kinda make sense. Besides the "J", as I mentioned, when I try to write on top of it whith Futura, at least some letters like the "N" and "H", but possibly all letters, are a little wider.

TypeToby

Here is another look at a good repro. So either the one who did this modifies a Futura, or the font really exists somewhere.

fenderfont2.jpg

Ralf Herrmann

None of these newer examples show typesetting in my opinion. They are just reproductions of the original. And the original also doesn’t have to by typesetting. You wouldn’t create a letterpress forme from moveable metal type and press it onto guitars. That’s not how things were done back then. 

But anyway—any skilled graphic designer can recreate the whole design easily using Futura and Brush Script as a starting point. 
download at MyFonts
download at MyFonts

George Thomas
1 hour ago, TypeToby said:

I could imagine the original is some older Futura variant that isn't that easily available today? 

After all, it's a US guitar, o they probably didn't just buy the Swiss metal type.

Since the guitar company was a major one their logos could have been done by an agency in NY, the home of PhotoLettering, Inc. PLI had hundreds of variants of many fonts done by lettering artists of the day. That could be the source of the type, most of which have not been digitized. House Industries owns the collection today.

As to Swiss type, there were a number of distributors back then who imported type from around the world so it wasn't unusual for a typographer to offer imported fonts.

Riccardo Sartori

I have this image in my mind of whoever was doing the composition thinking “Futura’s |J| looks pretty weak, especially at the beginning of a word... What if I just mask/erase/cut off part of the |U|...”

• Like 2
  • wink 1
George Thomas

Riccardo is right on with his suggestion. Using a /U for the /J, Futura Book looks like a perfect match to me, taking into consideration the original is likely metal type so there will be some slight variation from my Adobe Futura, which was probably done from art supplied by Linotype.

TypeToby

Wow, guys, you are amazing!

Thank you so much for your knowledge, it’s really awesome!

I would say, mystery solved !?!

• 1 year later...
Prism

Great work font sleuths!  Is there any chance any of you can help identify the Ultra Precision Bass?  It's not Futura.

Riccardo Sartori
2 hours ago, Prism said:

Is there any chance any of you can help identify the Ultra Precision Bass?

You should open a new thread with at least one sample image.

• 3 years later...