Check out our typography channel on Instagram

The title font from the documentary short "The Shining Star of Losers Everywhere"

Go to solution Solved by Kevin Thompson,

nocdib

I'm looking for the font that is used in the name captions (see attached) of this film. It is also the same font that is used in the title. It looks like the last name is the condensed version of the same font used for the first name. Free or commercial versions are fine as I am looking to use it in video production as well.

The movie can be founder here: https://vimeo.com/176459945

813728.png

Kevin Thompson

Sorry, I’m coming up dry on both typefaces.

I say both typefaces, because if your sample was set in the same typeface (albeit different styles and weights), I’d expect to see a similar angle on the end strokes of the |S|s, which I don’t.

The main movie title, visible at the link you provided, resembles Duke Fill, by James Edmundson (using the alternate R), but it’s not quite a match and not a match to either typeface in your sample (though similar for YOSHIDA).

• Like 1
Gecko

Yoshida looks very similar to "Upright Bold" by Emigre, very close but not exact.

Masashi is certainly a different typeface and not the same family stretched, as Kevin pointed out notice the slope on the "S".

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 23.22.29.jpg

• Like 1
  • Solution
Kevin Thompson

I reached out to Mickey Duzyj, the director of the film (and its illustrator/animator):

Hi Kevin--

Thanks for the compliments on the film. As I do with all my work, I drew all the lettering by hand, so you won't be able to find them as typefaces anywhere else.

Your fellow type nerd,

mick

His website is www.mduzyj.com.

• very interesting! 1