Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Looking for the fonts on this 1960s Jukebox Grand Prix

Go to solution Solved by Kevin Thompson,

Hi all, I've got a 1964 Rock-ola Grand Prix and I'm needing to know what font is used for the words 'Grand Prix' and also the '160' underneath it. The 'Grand Prix' font doesn't have to be absolutely spot on I can probably edit it perfect afterwards but as close as possible would be much appreciated.

Peter

Untitjled.png

• Solution

Sorry to disappoint you, but grand prix is a custom logotype, not a typeface.

No Exit, using the alternate |a|, gets you close.

160 is proving a bit elusive; in looking at other images of the company’s jukeboxes, they seem to make use of a number of Filmotype faces. 160 is similar to Zephyr, but not quite a match. Modern Extended and Bodoni 175 (italic) are also similar, but again not quite a match.

• Like 1

For grand prix Linotypes: Eurostile Std Extended#2 would work for a better fit, use the d (with the ascender chopped of for an a) then the q instead of a g. Finally increase the ascenders and descenders of the q, d & p. Microgramma Extended, same, same but a different name and produced earlier in 1952.

https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/eurostile/

Whew - well that puts a slightly different perspective on it! Still reckon you could start with Eurostile or Microgramma and add those speed lines easily!

Thanks for the advice, in the end though I thought it would be easier to just spend an hour or so making them out of various shapes, here's the result:

Cheers
Peter

jj.png

Whew looks like you know pretty much what your doing with Illustrator, a great result.

My one adjustment would be to add a little weight to the X it looks a little skinny in relation to the other glyphs.

• Like 1

It does actually thanks for pointing that out!

I didn't actually use any fancy programs to make them, I just made them out of shapes on ms word and finished them on ms paint haha