The type specimens of the world in one database …

Alternative ampersand required for Le Griffe font

• 2 weeks later...
Gecko

Prabodh Jain in my opinion, as an old school designer, the ampersand used in the existing sample card you enclosed is very unattractive and looks out of place compared to the ampersand included in the actual typeface. Time for an upgrade perhaps?50552151_ScreenShot2018-12-10at14_36_34.jpg.7766a831483aa3f8d2508baaf61ab3eb.jpg

Riccardo Sartori
1 hour ago, Gecko said:

the ampersand used in the existing sample card you enclosed is very unattractive and looks out of place

I would agree, but I would also argue that the original one can be difficult to identify for someone unfamiliar with the historical forms of ampersand or its original meaning. This would make it distracting, thus rendering the design less effective in conveying information.

That said, I think they just used a different typeface for |&| (unfortunately I don’t know which one).

Prabodh Jain
On 12/10/2018 at 1:14 PM, Gecko said:

Prabodh Jain in my opinion, as an old school designer, the ampersand used in the existing sample card you enclosed is very unattractive and looks out of place compared to the ampersand included in the actual typeface. Time for an upgrade perhaps?50552151_ScreenShot2018-12-10at14_36_34.jpg.7766a831483aa3f8d2508baaf61ab3eb.jpg

The original logotype was designed by someone else at least 20 odd years ago.

I was asked to identify the typeface and was able to recall it as Le Griffe. This pleased me a lot since I had used it via a sheet of Letraset rub-down transfer in silver colour letters.

• Like 1