Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Best cursive fonts for children.

Akôwè

Hi honourable administrators and members,

I make this post to learn from your experiences and opinions. In my town, we often use CURSIVE Font to make reading and writing test for children.

Have you experience children's reading with CURSIVE Font or other fonts similar or not to CURSIVE? What version of CURSIVE Font do you recommend for children? What others Font do you recommend to make writing and specially reading test easy for them?

Thank you in advance and looking forward to your comments.

Akôwè
2 minutes ago, Greg Yerbury said:

One option is Castledown which seems to have been designed for use in schools.

It's a pleasure to read your comment.

I appreciate and find it very informative.

Gratefully from AK

• 3 weeks later...
Riccardo Sartori

The questions are many and each one has many facets, thus I will address just some aspects.

About writing:

As for reading, usually a style called “infant” is used, that features simplified shapes for |a| and |g|, more reminiscent of their cursive forms. 

• very interesting! 1
Akôwè
On 12/27/2018 at 6:46 PM, Riccardo Sartori said:

The questions are many and each one has many facets, thus I will address just some aspects.

About writing:

As for reading, usually a style called “infant” is used, that features simplified shapes for |a| and |g|, more reminiscent of their cursive forms. 

Your participation is very appropriate and appreciate. I thank you for that.

I'll follow the link to learn more...

Gratefully,

A

Albert-Jan Pool

I’d like to recommend you to have closer a look at Sassoon Primary. It is one of the very few typefaces that have been designed by an experienced designer in close collaboration with an expert in teaching handwriting to children and not only commissioned by educators. Another good one is Basisschrift by Hans Eduard Meier, it is used in the German speaking parts of Switzerland. Same procedure as with Sassoon. Both typefaces are based on the forms of the humanist cursive script. 

• very interesting! 1
Akôwè
18 minutes ago, Albert-Jan Pool said:

I’d like to recommend you to have closer a look at Sassoon Primary. It is one of the very few typefaces that have been designed by an experienced designer in close collaboration with an expert in teaching handwriting to children and not only commissioned by educators. Another good one is Basisschrift by Hans Eduard Meier, it is used in the German speaking parts of Switzerland. Same procedure as with Sassoon. Both typefaces are based on the forms of the humanist cursive script. 

Thank you a lot for your attention and recommendation, you've my sinceres appreciation for that, because for me, it's a means to teach me.

I'll get back to you all soon.

My best wishes.

A

Albert-Jan Pool

Dear Akôwè,

I think you might be also interested in the Barchowsky Report on italic handwriting a good read: https://www.operina.com/2/203.html It describes the so called Icelandic Method, developed by Gunnlaugher Briem.

best regards & a happy New Year to all of you here 🙂

• Like 1