Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Expo 1925 Paris, lettering on the Pavillon Galeries Lafayette

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

Lyapunov

Hi experts,

I am looking for the typeface on the Pavillon of the Galeries Lafayette from the International Expo 1925 "Art decoratifs.."

If you view the photo there is the lettering on the right and the left side of the building. The words are "AUX GALERIES LAFAYETTE".

I have spent days on end with this subject and am not getting anywhere. I would appreciate help.

Thank you!

Paris-FR-75-Expo_1925_Arts_décoratifs-pavillon_des_Galeries_Lafayette.jpg

Lyapunov

Thank you, it is not a typeface at all. It is lettering. I understand that.

Sometimes there is lettering that is also a typeface, but obviously not here.

It is definitely a type of "art deco", I was hoping to find the designer behind the creation.

My problem with copies of "art deco" type fonts or lettering is that these are often an eclectic mixture of the originals. I find these often lack the roughness of the originals. Thank you for your time!

Ralf Herrmann
19 minutes ago, Lyapunov said:

I was hoping to find the designer behind the creation.

You might try to ask experts in the field of architecture. The lettering on buildings of that time might be created by the architects themselves or at least the information about the lettering might be available in detailed descriptions of the architecture. 

If you would want to know what typeface was used on that postcard—then you would be in the right community again. 😉 

Lyapunov

Thank you Ralf, I am actually looking for a lettering for a tombstone. The mason asked me, which typeface (font) I want to use for the lettering. I guess in this day and age masons rely on typeface lettering as their pattern. So in a sense, these terms seem to be mixed. All typefaces are lettering but not all lettering is typeface. This is an interesting site in any case. Thank you for your expertise and helpfulness.