The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

'Long Wear' Clothing Label

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

dustyc

Hi all,

I am new to this site and will do my best to abide by the rules set out in the faq/rules section. for this topic I am attempting find the name of the font that the words "SPORT JACKET" are set in on this clothing label. I don't know much about this company that isn't in this ebay listing... which isn't much. I had never heard of it before this listing and the seller doesn't do much in the way of giving a history of the brand. I can say however that I agree with the sellers description of the jacket being from the 1950s. I have become really interested in "mid-century, novelty fonts" and I feel like there has to be type book that documents this kind of thing. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Here is the original Ebay listing...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-1950S-LIGHT-BROWN-RAYON-GABARDINE-ZIPPER-JACKET-SIZE-LARGE/121379424213?hash=item1c42c707d5:g:jJwAAOSwDk5TuFtZ:sc:USPSPriority!78722!US!-1

LongWearFont.jpg

• Solution
Riccardo Sartori

Given the two different |T|s, other than the age and the medium, I would say it’s lettering, not a typeface.

• Like 1
dustyc

Keen eye Riccardo. I chalked this up to a production/printing distortion, but I'm totally open to that possibility. The other reason I feel like this might be a face is that I'm almost positive I've seen it before. Anybody else?

George Thomas

@Riccardo is correct; it is hand-lettered. Aside from the two /T's, which are different, there are some things about the letters that just indicate it is not a font. In addition to that, I'm familiar with most metal type from that era and have never seen it.