The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Stop Sign Font

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

Paul_1234

Hello, 

Once again i'm on a mission to find a school bus font, this time for the stop sign. I have a pretty good idea for the TOP but not the S. For the T, O,  and P I think it is Bebas, its close but then if we look at the S is nothing like it. So it has to be a mix of fonts. This picture was taken this year and it was built in around 2017. If anyone could help me figure out what S is that would be great. Here are some pictures.

Untitled.png

unknown.png

• Solution
Riccardo Sartori
8 hours ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

No.

To clarify: there is no need to have a font to write STOP on a sign. All is needed, as seen in your sample, are 12 quarter-circle arcs and some straight blocks.

There are digital typefaces that mimic this kind of construction, and you can make one yourself, but the letters on the sign were almost certainly built, not designed.

The reason why Bebas looks similar is because it’s based on Alternate Gothic, which, not unlike DIN, draws inspiration from this kind of engineered lettering, but then adds typographic improvements like the spline of |S|.

• Like 2