Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

'En barko senpilota', a book from 1987

Go to solution Solved by Greg Yerbury,

Meddysong

Possibly the greatest poet in our language, William Auld, had his complete works published in a book called En barko senpilota in 1987 by a publisher called Edistudio from Pisa, Italy. We're putting together the complete works of a challenger for that title, a lady called Marjorie Boulton. Because the two were firm friends for over half a century, including producing a book of verses between them based on a 'duel' they carried out via rhymes on postcards, we thought it would be a good idea to try to make the new book complement the first one. Part of that is getting the fonts to match.

Ideally, we'd be able to identify the font itself and use it. I'm quite happy to use a free alternative if one can be found.

I notice that several of the characters are quite distinctive and hope that they will provide helpful clues. I've uploaded the font in use on the cover, as a heading, as main content, and in cursive.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this!

b6.jpg.14fb42d76082fe3be150318174ab94f4.jpg

b1.jpg.71e89f4a8f1d7c22bb3b8f2e4f40226b.jpg

b5.jpg.9acb5ad297f6d3f20dd5e96642878684.jpg

b3.jpg.6b88f2a3210c0b34b5985a6a8a90ad4c.jpg

b2.jpg.5de0647fdaff49e0055bc521013469ea.jpg

Riccardo Sartori

It is a pre-digital cut of Garamond, possibly Simoncini, given the printer (but the quirks of the currently available digital versions do not seem to match the ones in the sample).

1 hour ago, Meddysong said:

I'm quite happy to use a free alternative if one can be found.

Regardless, the challenge would be finding fonts that offer all the glyphs needed to write Esperanto.

• Like 1
  • Solution
Greg Yerbury

Erato has a lot of glyphs compared to all the various cuts of  Simoncini and seems to be close.

• Like 1
Meddysong

Thank you, gentlemen. I agree that Erato seems very close. Maybe that's the one we'll use. Thanks!