The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Fraktur typeface from a 1855 German edition of Goethe's Faust (Cotta'ſcher Verlag)

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

Hvergelmir

I am looking to identify a typeface (or possibly to the practiced eye several) from a 1855 edition of Goethe's Faust.

The book publisher was originally J. G. Cotta'ſcher Verlag (Buchdruckerei der J. G. Cotta'ſchen Buchhandlung in Stuttgart und Augsburg). I contacted their successor company and they haven't got a clue as to what typeface was used.

The title page of the book appears to use several typefaces, but I don't care too much about that aspect. More important is the main text, of which I am giving an excerpt.

The one thing that I noticed is that Faust was written - depending on where it appears - as Fauſt and Faust (long and short s respectively).

The closest match I have found so far was Fette Unz Fraktur by Peter Wiegel, except that I'd need to normal (non-bold) variant of the typeface along with the semi-bold and bold one. The main text of course uses the normal variant throughout.

I am looking for a digital font for use with LuaLaTeX, preferably one that provides the standard ligatures such as ck, fi ... and it would be fine if it's a commercial font, but free (even open source) would be preferred.

Thank you in advance for any input you can provide.

Faust1.jpg

• Solution
Riccardo Sartori
13 hours ago, Hvergelmir said:

I'd need to normal (non-bold) variant of the typeface along with the semi-bold and bold one.

That would greatly restrict the chance of finding an exact digital match (if it even exists).

In any case, it seems to be a version of Normal-Fraktur, “A standard design that emerged in the 19th century.”

13 hours ago, Hvergelmir said:

preferably one that provides the standard ligatures such as ck, fi

Buchfraktur should cover all the requirements.