The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Fonts on cover of 1967 Psychedelic coloring book

mcpozzm

I'm trying to identify every font used on the cover of this 1967 cartoon and coloring book, made at Millbrook, New York. So far, I've got:

"History" = Blavicke

"Alpert, Leary and Metzner Experiment..." = Futura DemiBold

"Neo-American Church Catechism..." = Claudius

Can anyone help with:

"of the" = ?

"Psychedelic" = ?

"Movement" (decorative initial M and lowercase) = Lowercase letters unidentified. The ornamental M is probably from a series identified as “Composite Capitals, 1889” in the book Initials and Decorative Alphabets by Stiebner and Urban, but that book only shows letters A-H. Does anybody know of a book that has all the letters?  

"Cartoon and Coloring Book/$2.00/Including a review of the" = ?

Any leads much appreciated. Digital would be ideal but reference to print would also be great.

cb_cover.jpg

composite_capitals_1889.jpg

Ignacio

I don’t think that “Psychedelic” is a typeface, I can see little differences between the two “E” and the two “C”.

Riccardo Sartori
17 minutes ago, Les said:

'of the' may be 'Consort' from Red Rooster

Yes, it looks like a condensed style of Clarendon (as Consort is), but the sides of the letters in the sample appear to be straighter.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find a digital version light enough to match the sample.

mcpozzm

Thank you!

Update: Decorative Alphabets and Initials by Alexander Nesbitt (Dover, 1959) has the full set of 1889 initials, reprinted from "Schriften Atlas, a collection made by Ludwig Petzendorfer, Verlag von Julius Hoffmann, Stuttgart 1889".

• Like 1