Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Script fonts used in Launderettes' signs

Daniro

Hello everyone,

I am working on a book project about Launderettes and would like to style the titles with a script font similar to the signs that we often see on the street (I am based in London). I am attaching 2 examples that I have extracted from actual photographs.

Can anyone suggest something similar that would stay within an affordable price range (max $50)? Or the actual fonts themselves if anyone recognises them? I have searched quite many websites but haven't found the right pick yet.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Dan 

Exterior_Launderette_Mafeking Av E6-.jpg

Exterior_Launderette_Main avenue_EN1.jpg

Riccardo Sartori

I can’t find exact matches. There are many typefaces in a similar style, mainly inspired by shop signs or by “baseball script” (but also roundhand and commercial script).

Perhaps the best I have found is the not-so-cheap MVB Mascot.

Also, especially for the second sample, the considerably cheaper Hanley:

Daniro

Hi there,

Thanks Riccardo and Kevin. Both Hanley and Mandate seem great options. I will give them both a go.

Mascot too to be fair. If it works well it might be worth the extra cost.

Thanks again for your help. If you stumble upon other similar fonts feel free to send them my way.

Dan

Riccardo Sartori
10 hours ago, Daniro said:

If you stumble upon other similar fonts

As said, there are plenty, and what one could consider similar would depend on several factors. For example, the lowercase of the first example is quite different in details from that of the second sample. I found several typefaces with sharp straight strokes akin those of the first sample, but they have a differently shaped |L|.

Depending on your needs, for what I know, not having an exact |L| could be less important than matching the look of the lowercase, or perhaps “borrowing” the uppercase from a different font could also be an option.

Melchior

Bernhard Brush Script

Bit Script

Buffalo Nickel

Dora

Forelle

Holla

Zhafira

Oleo Script

Palomba

Ronde

Yesteryear