Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Font used in a 1925 book (O Garimpeiro do Rio das Garças)

Go to solution Solved by Stephen Coles,

Filipe Negrão

I'm researching about a Brazilian printing house from the 1920s, and I stumbled with this typeface on the title page. It's a kid's book, written by Monteiro Lobato (who happens to be the owner o the publishing company) and the picture was shot during my visit to Monteiro Lobato's Rare Book Collection, located in São Paulo.

Lobato, M. (1925). O Garimpeiro do Rio das Garças. 1st ed. São Paulo: Cia. Graphico-Editora Monteiro Lobato.

Thank you all in advance.

Garimpeiro_title.jpg

Filipe Negrão

My best guess now is Linotype's Gothic nº26, but I'm waiting to check on a printed (or hi-res copy) specimen.

Filipe Negrão

I guess the Akzidenz Grotesk’s endings (and Trade Gothic’s) don't match with the example. This one has horizontal endings for /G and /Ç. 

George Thomas

Filipe, it is not Gothic No. 26. That face was announced in the Linotype Bulletin Vol. 18, No. 4 in 1925. This image shows the differences, with the Google image blown up to the width of the /M. Clearly the Linotype font is not nearly as extended, but it appears to be a derivative of the same design. More research is needed.

Gothic No. 26.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • Solution
Stephen Coles

I believe this is Cartolina III from Genzsch & Heyse, or something based on it. I can share a sample tomorrow when I have access to Letterform Archive’s specimens.

• Like 4